The health benefits of regular exercise can’t be disputed. Exercise results in a healthier heart, lower body weight and better mental state. Even if you know the benefits of exercise, it can be daunting to begin a workout routine. Maybe you’re intimidated by the gym or need a little more guidance on where to begin. Fear not — our fitness team can help you start down the path to fitness.
A note before beginning
Before undertaking any exercise routine, talk with your health care provider.
The first step
If you are currently overweight, begin with low-impact exercises such as walking or an aquatic exercise routine. Since jogging or running can place a lot of stress on the knees, try to avoid these exercises for now. A moderately paced walk will provide aerobic benefit while limiting joint stress.
Work towards a movement goal of 150 minutes per week (5 days a week for 30 minutes). As your exercise habit develops, incorporate strength training, which will build lean body mass.
Tips to remember
• Wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
• Edward educates! Edward Health and Fitness Centers offer individualized consultations for our members that will equip you with the knowledge to succeed. Schedule your appointment at the fitness office.
• Don’t over-do it! Many people attempt to do too much too quickly when beginning an exercise routine. As your body grows stronger, you’ll be able to work out harder and longer.
• Make sure that you exercise your entire body, instead of focusing on specific areas like the stomach or hips.
• Sip water to keep yourself hydrated before, during and after your workouts.
Finally, don’t get discouraged with yourself. By beginning an exercise routine, you have taken an important step toward good health — one that will lead you to a healthier life!