Understanding Hospital Bills and Health Insurance Claims
Edward's mission is to provide quality and compassionate health care to our patients and their families. We understand that hospital and physician bills and insurance claims can be confusing. We want to help you understand what Edward will do to assist you, how you can assist us and your health plan, and how we can help you with your application for qualifying for government or financial assistance programs.
Edward will -
Bills and Statements
- Bill your health insurance plan on your behalf. If you have more than one health plan, we will bill the other carriers. You may be required to submit a copy of the primary insurance Explanation of Benefits (EOB) to your secondary insurance carrier.
- Send easy-to-read statements showing the most current balance owed by your health plan or due from you. A statement will be sent showing the amount your health plan has paid and the remaining balance owed.
- Provide access to a financial counselor to answer billing questions or assistance with payment issues. Counselors can assist you with questions concerning insurance benefits, provider charges, payment options and applying for financial assistance programs.
- Provide access to a financial counselor who will help you determine if you qualify for Edward's own financial assistance program, which can help uninsured and underinsured patients.
- Provide access to an associate who speaks your language. If we can not provide a financial counselor who speaks your language on your request, we will arrange for translation assistance.
- Treat you with dignity and respect, regardless of your ability to pay.
Your Help is Needed to -
Information About Billing Your Insurance
- Provide us with complete health insurance information upon registration, including insurance ID cards, driver's license, picture ID and any changes to your personal or insurance information.
- Provide information about possible third party, accident or automobile insurance payments. If your hospitalization/visit resulted from an accident for which a third party is responsible, please provide any requested information to allow Edward to bill these payers as appropriate.
- Comply with any requirements of your health insurance plan, including obtaining proper authorizations for service, second opinions, submitting referral or claims forms, or completing a coordination of benefits form.
- Respond promptly to requests from your health plan. Sometimes your health plan needs a response from you to resolve issues relating to your insurance coverage. If your health plan has not made payment within a reasonable period of time (usually 60 days after billing) and has not responded to our attempts to resolve payment matters on your behalf, the balance owed may become your responsibility.
Questions About Your Bill
Questions about your bill or financial assistance can be directed to our Patient Accounts Department at (630) 527-5307 or (800) 346-7513 (toll-free), or email email@example.com.
Note: Edward's hospital bill does not include fees for your physician or surgeon services. If your treatment includes the services of a cardiologist, radiologist, pathologist, anesthesiologist or other physician specialists, you will receive a separate bill from these physicians. If you have questions regarding any of your physician bills, call the telephone number printed on the physician's bill.