Walking, dressing, daily chores – for most people these activities are easily accomplished. For the person with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), however, these everyday tasks are difficult and sometimes impossible due to shortness of breath. Although this disease is not curable, individuals with COPD can lead active, productive lives. The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at Edward offers a comprehensive outpatient program designed to enable the participant to strive toward a more rewarding life.
Benefits of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Maximize breathing through a combination of education, reconditioning and exercise
- Ease the challenges of daily life by increasing physical endurance and decreasing anxiety
- Improve understanding of symptoms and breathing medications
- Improve quality of life
- Decrease hospitalization
As a Pulmonary Rehabilitation participant you will receive personalized attention from a team of experienced healthcare professionals working together to provide a state-of-the-art comprehensive program. Participants can expect to receive additional support from others sharing in the rehabilitation experience.
Education class topics include:
- Lung Function: Learn how the lungs work and use oxygen.
- Breathing Technique: Learn two types of controlled breathing—pursed lip and diaphragmatic—to help shortness of breath.
- Aerobic Exercise: Increase endurance, safely and realistically, at a rate that is comfortable for you. Heart rate and oxygen saturation levels are closely monitored throughout this session.
- Flexibility and Strength Exercises: Practice methods to improve balance and fitness.
- Daily Living Skills: Improve life quality. Planning meals, taking medications, and pacing yourself are common topics.
Usually your primary care physician or pulmonary specialist refers you to our program. In addition to an evaluation, other tests, such as a pulmonary function test, may be required so we can design an individualized program for you. If you do not have a physician, you can call (630) 527-6363 to access the Edward physician referral service.
Many public, private, HMO and PPO insurance carriers cover a percentage of Pulmonary Rehabilitation. We are happy to assist you in obtaining additional information regarding your carriers. Call (630) 527-3389 for more information.