Referrals & Appointments
How to find us
Our Comprehensive Pump Education Program consists of individual appointments so that we can focus on you and your needs. We offer education sessions for patients with type 1 diabetes & type 2 diabetes on multiple daily injections. All of our diabetes educators are certified insulin pump trainers on all of the major pumps currently available on the market.
Our insulin pump training program:
Introduction to Insulin Pump Therapy
- an overview of the pumps currently available on the market
- individual assessment
- review of basal-bolus delivery of insulin
- risks and benefits of pump therapy
In this hands-on session with the type of pump you will be ordering, you will have an opportunity to practice:
- Entering a blood glucose reading
- Entering the number of carbohydrates
- Filling the reservoir
- Inserting infusion set
- At this 2-hour appointment, you will bring your new insulin pump.
- Your educator will help you program your insulin pump and explain the various features of your pump
- You will leave this appointment wearing your pump that will be delivering saline
- For the next 2 days, you will operate your pump containing saline and continue to deliver insulin via injections. This gives you a chance to increase confidence in starting to use your insulin pump.
- At this appointment, you will need to bring your insulin pump and a new vial of rapid-acting insulin.
- For your safety, you will need to demonstrate to the educator your pump-operating skills (i.e. fill a reservoir, insert site, enter blood glucose reading and perform correction bolus, if indicated).
- You will leave the appointment wearing your insulin pump that will be delivering insulin.
Generally, a one-week, two-week and one-month (post-insulin pump start) appointments are offered to help you as you learn to use insulin pump therapy and make adjustments as needed in your pump settings. Additional appointments as indicated.
To help you decide which pump would be best for you consider visiting the following web site:
Below are websites for the most frequently prescribed insulin pumps:
Asante Snappump: http://www.snappump.com/
Medtronic: Link here
t:slim Pump: http://www.tandemdiabetes.com/products/t-slim/